The Grassroot Institute of Hawaii is a nonprofit policy research organization that seeks to educate people about the values of individual liberty, economic freedom and accountable government.
It is searching for a policy researcher to join its policy team. A typical day for this position will include researching and writing exceptional policy papers, op-eds or articles; working with the director of policy to research key policy issues; and interacting with a range of national and local media outlets to educate and provide commentary on issues.
Essential duties and responsibilities
• Conduct general or detailed research as required.
• Assist GRIH staff with tasks, projects and events.
• Submit revisions and find further research as requested by editorial staff.
• Represent GRIH at national and state level conferences, as needed.
• Actively participate in staff calls and leadership team meetings.
• Maintain excellent communication and foster a collaborative working environment with all departments, offices and customers.
• Maintain regular attendance and timeliness.
Skills and Qualifications
• Alignment with the vision and mission of the Grassroot Institute of Hawaii.
• Three years of policy research experience preferred.
• Bachelor’s degree or equivalent.
• Ability to reliably commute to the main office in downtown Honolulu, preferred, or planning to relocate before starting work.
• Ability to research.
• Ability to write well-structured, accurate and readable prose.
• Understanding of and ability to explain policy issues.
• Ability to connect with people in the community.
Compensation and Benefits
Either full- or part-time contracted work is available.
Full-time work includes:
• $40,000-$65,000 annual salary, depending on experience.
• Comprehensive employee-benefits program, including, a full medical/dental/vision package.
• Retirement plan after two years of consecutive employment with an employer match of 3% subject to the plan’s terms and revisions.
• 10 working days of paid time off (PTO); however, PTO is available for use only after six (6) consecutive months of employment. PTO may not be accumulated or carried over years.
• Paid federal and select state holidays.
Part-time contracted work includes hourly pay of between $20 and $30.
This job description is not intended to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee. Other duties, responsibilities and activities may be changed or assigned at any time without notice.