The Grassroot Institute of Hawaii is a nonprofit policy research organization that seeks to educate people about the values of individual liberty, economic freedom and accountable government.
It is searching for a policy researcher to join its policy team. A typical day for this position will include researching and writing exceptional policy papers, op-eds or articles; working with the director of policy to research key policy issues; and interacting with a range of national and local media outlets to educate and provide commentary on issues.
Essential duties and responsibilities
• Conduct general or detailed research as required.
• Assist GRIH staff with tasks, projects and events.
• Submit revisions and find further research as requested by editorial staff.
• Represent GRIH at national and state level conferences, as needed.
• Actively participate in staff calls and leadership team meetings.
• Maintain excellent communication and foster a collaborative working environment with all departments, offices and customers.
• Maintain regular attendance and timeliness.
Skills and Qualifications
• Alignment with the vision and mission of the Grassroot Institute of Hawaii.
• Three years of policy research experience preferred.
• Bachelor’s degree or equivalent.
• Ability to reliably commute to the main office in downtown Honolulu, preferred, or planning to relocate before starting work.
• Ability to research.
• Ability to write well-structured, accurate and readable prose.
• Understanding of and ability to explain policy issues.
• Ability to connect with people in the community.
Compensation and Benefits
Either full- or part-time contracted work is available.
Full-time work includes:
• $40,000-$65,000 annual salary, depending on experience.
• Comprehensive employee-benefits program, including, a full medical/dental/vision package.
• Retirement plan after two years of consecutive employment with an employer match of 3% subject to the plan’s terms and revisions.
• 10 working days of paid time off (PTO); however, PTO is available for use only after six (6) consecutive months of employment. PTO may not be accumulated or carried over years.
• Paid federal and select state holidays.
Part-time contracted work includes hourly pay of between $20 and $30.
This job description is not intended to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee. Other duties, responsibilities and activities may be changed or assigned at any time without notice.
To the Hawaii Legislature:
Hawaii families face skyrocketing healthcare costs and a shortage of doctors. Exempting medical services from Hawaii’s general excise tax would result in millions of dollars in savings for residents and help bring doctors back.